Today, more people are interested in the use of the internet. As a result, the number of devices working with the internet is continuously increasing in almost all homes. Internet users are more conscious about its coverage than ever before. Sitting far from the router is a real pain. No need to worry, the best outdoor WiFi extender is a blessing to resolve this problem.
The Wi-Fi extenders capture a current signal with one antenna and magnify it effectively. And diffuse it to another antenna to boosts the signal coverage. Besides, it allows you to connect various devices simultaneously such as iOS, Android, PCs, PlayStation, smart plugs, Alexa devices, and much more.
This article will help you to figure out the best outdoor WiFi extender 2021 with other details like pros and cons, quick tips and buying guide.
Best Outdoor WiFi Extender 2021 – A Detailed Analysis
Each WiFi extender has some unique features. Our detailed analysis below will let you know the distinguishing features of 7 best outdoor WiFi extenders. So, you can make a better decision.
1. Amazon eero Pro 6 Outdoor WiFi Extender– Best Overall
Eero’s mesh WiFi system allows you to stay connected, stream 4K video, play games, and attend video conferences within 6,000 sq. ft. Moreover, from the home office to the pool or to the basement, this mesh WiFi system covers every inch of your home with powerful signals. So, you can say goodbye to buffering and dead spots across your whole home.
Why eero Pro 6?
eero Pro 6 delivers the fastest speed to every corner of your home, reduces network congestion, and improves your internet’s efficiency. Besides, the following points will help you to know the value of the eero Pro 6 mesh WiFi system.
1. Unlock your WiFi’s potential: Eero Pro 6 has a built-in Zigbee smart home hub to connects smart devices to Alexa. Therefore, it enables you to control locks, lights, appliances, and more.
2. Easy to set up and use: You can set it up with the following four easy steps
- Download the eero app.
- Create your eero account
- Plug in your eero device.
- Your WiFi optimizes for your home with TrueMesh.
Watch this tutorial to learn about setting up a new eero network.
3. eero Secure: It provides all essential tools like content warnings, ad-blocking, and threat scans. You can also upgrade to eero Secure plus, an exclusive bundle of the best security apps: Malwarebytes, Encrypt. mem and 1Password. You can also get a free 30-days trial to test features of eero secure.
4. Works with Alexa: With the Alexa device and eero Pro 6, you can easily manage WiFi access for devices. Even you can control your internet access for your kids.
Please Note: Alexa device is not included. You need to buy it separately at some additional cost.
5. Available in 3 Styles: eero is available in 3 Styles at a price range between $199-$599.
- Amazon eero mesh WiFi system
- eero 6 mesh WiFi system
- Amazon eero Pro 6 mesh WiFi system
The first two styles are dual-band and provide coverage up to 5,000 sq. ft, whereas the third one is triband and provides coverage up to 6,000 sq. ft.
The internet speed for all three styles is up to 350 Mbps, 500 Mbps, and one gigabit, respectively. The best thing is, you can add eero products as your needs change.
6. Eero LED light: LED light makes it easy to understand the present status of eero. The meanings of each LED light are given in the table below;
Compatible Mobile Devices
Currently, eero supports both Android and iOS. However, it does not work with old versions.The compatible versions are given below.
- iOS 12 or later
- Android 7.0 or later (including tablets)
How Does eero WiFi extender optimize your Network?
The eero system uses 3 different time scales to optimize your network for maximum performance.
- Short Term – eero mesh takes up to one minute to find the best path for your data to travel to your network.
- Medium Term – It can take about an hour to learn the kind of interference in your home to tune it in the best possible way.
- Long Term – It takes up to three weeks to figure out the best channels for your home network. However, it can disrupt your network. So, it is better to avoid it.
- Active internet connection
- Compatible iOS or Android device with a data connection
- The eero app for your Android or iOS
- An email address and active contact number (to sign up for your account)
Amazon’s Eero Pro 6 tri-band is for the individual looking for industry-leading wireless coverage, easy setup, fast and stable internet on multiple devices simultaneously. Besides, it will be a great addition to the interior of your smart home.
2. Netgear Orbi Tri-band WiFi Extender – Best for Extreme Traffic
Now you can bring secure, fast, and reliable internet to your entire family with the NETGEAR Orbi Home WiFi System. It comes with a satellite and one router. It is available in a two-piece kit to offer coverage of 5,000 square feet and more than 25 devices.
No need to buy a WiFi extender or booster. The main features below will help you to know further about it.
1. Maximum WiFi Speed: This Tri-band WiFi can maximize the speed of your internet. The third band is dedicated to the Orbi router and satellite to frees up the other two bands to enhance speed to your smart devices.
2. Seamless Roaming Everywhere: This single network allows you to roam everywhere in your home and get maximum internet speed without interruption.
3. High-Performance WiFi: This fastest internet connection lets you stream High Definition (HD) movies on multiple devices. Moreover, you can also play and enjoy online games along with using the internet on other devices.
4. Easy and Quick to Setup: The Orbi app allows you to set up your WiFi in a few minutes. You can also customize internet settings, monitor internet speed to control it anytime, anywhere.
5. Cybersecurity Protection: This NETGEAR WiFi system protects all your devices from data theft, viruses, and malware with a 30-day free trial. The system supports WPA2 wireless security protocols like DoS, VPN, Firewall, Guest WiFi access, and more.
6. Smart Parental Controls: Smart Parental Controls help you to monitors the online activity of your children. Even you can filter their online activities. Besides, you can control WiFi access time.
7. Works with Alexa: It is compatible with Alexa. You can combine it with an Alexa device to get voice control with some additional cost.
Box includes Orbi router (Model RBR50), Orbi satellite (Model RBS50), Ethernet cable, and Power adapters (2), but these vary by region.
The Netgear Orbi system is, perhaps, the best of all WiFi systems, old and new. It is especially true when it comes to speed. Currently, Orbi offers the fastest WiFi and wide Coverage in the market.
Orbi is also constantly improving its technology, recently “Daisy chain,” which refers to how satellite units are connected. Each satellite unit can connect instead of the primary router, giving you more flexibility when choosing your placement of units.
Moreover, the 7 LAN ports provide fast internet connections to your wired devices. The best part is – its tri-band technology.
Orbi outdoor WiFi extender has offered one of the two available networks of only 5 GHz in backhaul management. It allows for stable network speeds even during traffic.
Netgear Orbi also recently started working with ethernet backhaul, a feature most useful in extreme traffic situations.
WiFi Setting Up Tips
- Make sure that WiFi settings in the router and your computer or smart device match.
- The WiFi security settings and network name (SSID) must match exactly.
- While setting up an access list, Please add each of your WiFi-enabled device’s addresses to your router’s access list.
Netgear Orbi is an excellent choice for an individual who needs to operate multiple devices simultaneously without a drop in internet speed. Tri-band split traffic between two networks to ensure stable speed within 5000 Sq.ft. Besides, a recently added feature of ethernet backhaul makes it most useful in extreme traffic situations.
3. Google Nest Outdoor WiFi extender – Best Budget High Performance
Google Nest WiFi is a flexible and scalable Mesh WiFi system that provides whole-home coverage and strong signal. Each Nest WiFi point is compatible with Google Assistant. Both Nest WiFi router and point can handle up to 200 smart devices and allow multiple 4K videos streaming.
The points below will help you to learn more about Nest WiFi.
1. Support multiple devices: Both Nest WiFi router and point can handle up to 200 devices. The fast speed allows streaming multiple 4K videos simultaneously.
2. Easy Setup: Plugs the router into your modem to get a network with a reliable and robust signal.
3. Fingertips Control: You can control your network using your smartphone. You can also control the online activities of your children and block explicit content.
4. Prioritize Devices: You can select devices on which you need to get faster speeds.
5. Guest Network: A guest network allows you to share your WiFi network with your friends.
What’s in the box
- Nest WiFi router (1 pack) – 1 Nest WiFi router, 1 Ethernet cable (6.5 ft), and 1 power adapter
- Pack 2 – 1 Nest WiFi router, 1 Nest WiFi point, 1 Ethernet cable (6.5 ft), and 2 power adapters
- Nest WiFi (3 pack): 1 Nest WiFi router, 2 Nest WiFi points, 1 Ethernet cable (6.5 ft) and 3 power adapters
- WiFi add on point (1 pack): 1 Nest WiFi point, 1 power adapter
6. Run a speed test: You can run a speed test to check how fast WiFi is.
7. Automatic Updates: Automatic software updates regularly improve your WiFi performance
8. Voice Assistance: Google Assistant allows you to play music, find answers, manage WiFi networks and control your connected devices using your voice like “Hey Google, turn on the coffee maker.”
9. Advanced Privacy Protection: Google Nests has updated its security and privacy system. Now WiFi router and point have WPA3 encryption, automatic security updates, and a trusted platform module. So, your privacy is fully protected.
10. A personalized Fit: You can find which WiFi system fits your home area.
- Under 2200 sq feet
- 2200 – 3400 sq feet
- 3400 – 5400 sq feet
- Over 5400 sq feet
Attention Please: Home layout and materials can affect WiFi signals strength. If you face the low signal problem, you can fix it by buying additional WiFi points.
Signal Strength and speed also depend on your internet service provider.
Watch this video tutorial to set up your Nest WiFi
It is available in 4 Styles at a price range between $150-$400.
1: Single Pack
2: Two Pack
3: Three-Pack Bundle
4: Nest WiFi one pack + Google WiFi One pack
- Google Account
- an electrical outlet
- Compatible mobile device
- An active internet connection
- Nest WiFi points work only with Nest/google WiFi router
Google Nest WiFi is for the individual who has a low budget for a high-performance internet connection in a smart home. Moreover, you can select from four styles according to your required coverage area and the number of smart devices on which you need fast and secure internet.
4.Netgear EX6120 Extender – Best for Small Distance Coverage
The Netgear WiFi range extender can cover 1200sq. Ft. You can connect 20 devices simultaneously like laptops, tablets, smartphones, and many others.
Its 1200Mbps data transmission boosts your video streaming and gaming app performance by using patented Fastlane (TM) and dual-band technology. Moreover, it is compatible with any wireless gateway, router, or cable modem with WiFi.
Wire Ethernet port allows a simple plugin of gaming consoles and other nearby devices. Finally, you can enjoy a safe and secure device system with a wireless safety protocol.
Netgear Wi-Fi range extender is a powerful device that perfectly boos coverage of any home with a tiled bathroom and several walls.
5. Outdoor WiFi Extender – Best for Basement Coverage
This WiFi range extender has dual-band technology that picks a high-quality band to enhance the performance. It provides 300Mbps/2.4GHz and 433Mbps/5GHz. In this way total of 733Mbps data transmission usage is available to you and also it overcomes the data transmission loss.
The dual-antenna is the special feature of this product that boosts coverage up to 1292 sq Ft with 360 degrees. With 733Mbps data transmission you can enjoy Wi-Fi coverage in your bedroom restrooms, floors, and even in the garden. It also works as a wireless adaptor that also boosts its proficiency.
The easy and quick setup makes it more interesting which only takes 8 seconds to start. It supports many devices. So, you can enjoy your gaming experience and HD streaming with this device. It also improves the coverage by pressing the WPS button.
This Wi-Fi extender is for the individual who is looking for easy and simple installation and wants to extend the signals at every corner of home even the basement. It also split the signals into 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz providing you an option to choose which one you want.
6. TP-Link Outdoor WiFi Extender – PCMag Editor’s Choice
TP-Link W-Fi extender not only offers wide coverage of up to 2000 sq. Ft but also helps you to connect 32 devices simultaneously. It provides 1300Mbps data transmission which is compatible with any router access point and gateway.
Using this device, you can also enjoy the Lag-Free connection to any device. Moreover, it has an easy setup. The three external antennae improve coverage in the entire home.
It is the best product which offers free technical support and 2 years of warranty. In sum, all these features distinguishes it from competitors and make it the best wifi extender for outdoor.
If you are looking for a Wi-Fi extender that 1) allows you to enjoy the game, video chat, and online stream with flawless clarity, 2) free technical support and 2-year warranty. This is the best choice for you.
7. TP-Link Omada AC1200– Best for High Density Environment
This TP-link outdoor wifi extender offers steady wireless coverage up to 200m+/ 2.4GHz and 300m+/ 5GHz in the outdoor area. Most importantly, the high transmission power of this device gives full coverage with high gain antennas.
The Omada Controller software is based on Free Windows/Linux provides easy administration that controls hundreds of EAPs. Besides, it provides a quick and convenient method for guest authentication. In sum, all these features make it the best wifi range extender in 2021.
If you need a Wi-Fi extender that help to connect security cameras installed in your home and provide internet coverage for many other devices, this is the best solution for you.
8. TP-Link N300 Outdoor WiFi Extender – Best for Bottom of Garden
TP-Link N300 with a dual-polarized directional antenna has adjustable transmission power. It covers a 5km long-range paired Point-to-Point and Point-to-MultiPoint wireless transmission. Besides, TP-Link Pharos tdma technology boosts throughput capability and latency performance.
Moreover, the centralized management system allows you to use different operation modes. Finally, it supports up to 200 feet of power for Ethernet deployment which enables it to reset remotely.
This TP-Link N300 Wi-Fi extender is for the individual who is looking for exceptional signals for frequent video conferencing software and even works in the bottom of the garden.
9. Outdoor WiFi Extender – Best for gamers
This outdoor WiFi extender works with dual-band technology that automatically selects a high-quality band to improve the performance. It also gives 300 Mbps/2.4 GHz and 867Mbps/5GHz. So, you can enjoy total 1167Mbps data transmission. You can get coverage at 360 degrees for up to 1292 sq. ft.
In addition, the easy setup only takes 8 seconds to start. The device can easily expand the wireless coverage by simply pressing the WPS button. Besides, it supports many devices including echo/Alexa devices and you can enjoy online streaming and gaming. Finally, with a smart signal indicator, you can find the perfect spot for Wi-Fi coverage.
This Wi-Fi range extender can be installed in a just one minute. It also offers you full coverage in your entire home enabling you to enjoy HD streaming. Thereby, it is highly recommended for gamers.
10. NETGEAR Extender EX5000 – Best for Medium Coverage
Netgear wifi range extender gives a maximum coverage of 1500 sq. ft which makes it unique. It also connects to 25 devices and gives 1200Mbps data transmission.
Moreover, It has universal compatibility that works with any wireless router and cable modem. The main distinguishing feature is its security protocol that provides full safety and security. Finally, it is simple to set up and easy to use.
If you need a Wi-Fi extender that not only provide you maximum coverage but also ensure you full security and safety, then go for it!
Things to consider before purchasing Outdoor WiFi Extender
Before purchasing a WiFi extender, it would be better if you are aware of the following points.
Consider your purpose that why do you need an outdoor WiFi extender if you and your partner don’t want to stream movies in the living room.
Maybe you need WiFi outside to listen to Spotify while working in the garden. Similarly, to build an outdoor office, an outdoor WiFi extender is the solution.
2. Distance and Speed
If your outdoor workstation is just twenty feet far from your home router, a smaller extender will work well. In contrast, if you are trying to get WiFi in your garage, go for a considerable distance extender to get complete coverage. Otherwise, you may face slow internet speed.
To get complete and smooth WiFi coverage, you should choose a well-known brand especially, if you are running a new or established business. Outdoor WiFi extender from a famous brand will make things easier for you in your regular tasks.
It is not the right time to save money because quality internet is vital in your lifestyle. So, it’s time to make an excellent investment to reap all fruits of the latest technology. Keep in mind that the best WiFi extenders are a bit pricy—however, the fast speed and coverage worth the price.
Types of Outdoor WiFi Extenders
If you are tech-savvy and looking to analyze each available option before setting up your WiFi extender, Keep reading! We’ve got you covered.
Here I will let you know general things about each type and its usefulness.
1. WiFi Repeaters
WiFi repeater is often considered the cheapest solution to expand coverage of your wireless network. But unfortunately, the repeater doesn’t fix the problem of coverage. So, it is a waste of money.
2. WiFi Antenna
Usually, the internet signals are blocked by thick walls and metallic surfaces. The antenna picks up EM waves containing data packets and converts them into electrical signals to be processed by the device. However, the position of the WiFi Antenna makes a massive difference by providing high speed and strong coverage throughout your home.
3. Wired Extender
Some WiFi extenders perform well if they are wired directly to a WiFi router or Ethernet port. You may or may not like to go for this option. However, if you are looking to get WiFi outside but your route and ethernet cable are installed on your second floor, it is better to buy a wireless extender.
4. WiFi Boosters
WiFi booster can extend the range of your wireless network. However, their effectiveness is limited by many things such as:
- The speed of internet connection.
- The distance from router.
- The locations in your home that require WiFi coverage.
- The WiFi requirements of your family.
Overall performance of booster is better than a repeater.
5. General Extenders
General WiFi extenders are available in various sizes, colors, price ranges, coverage options, and usabilities. if you like to keep things simple, an outdoor WiFi extender is a good solution. However, you need to check it more regularly than a WiFi installed for home internet.
Best Place to Plugin Outdoor WiFi Extender
To get better coverage, you can plug in an outdoor WiFi extender at the following places:
- In the garage
- In your outdoor workstation
- Downstairs close to your required outside area
- Outside using a weatherproof box for electronics
- By the backdoor
Best Outdoor WiFi Extender – FAQs
Can a WiFi extender be placed outside?
Yes, you can place the Netgear Orbi WiFi extender outside. It is one of the latest mesh systems with a super-easy setup, coverage of 5,000 sq ft, and 25+ devices. You can mount it to any wall outside or you can plug it into an outlet. The two-piece WiFi mesh system costs you at least $200.
What is the best way to extend your WiFi outdoors?
Here are the best ways to extend your WiFi outdoor;
- Select the right location for the access point or router.
- Choose the right extender considering your required coverage and number of devices.
- Use a unified management system.
- Configure the extender properly.
- Avoid installing an additional Wireless router.
How do I extend my WiFi to outbuilding?
To extend WiFi to outbuilding, you can try the WiFi extender /booster even repeater. Put it close to the outbuilding you are trying to reach as far as possible. The window can be a perfect place to put it because it minimizes any disturbances from building materials. If your home has a mesh system, it is better to try a mesh unit.
Moreover, an easy option to extend WiFi outside using a mesh system and other satellite units. It can offer you a couple of hundred square feet of outdoor coverage. Although Mesh systems are expensive, setting up is often easy for new users.
Which WiFi extender has the longest range?
The following WiFi extender has the longest range;
- Amazon eero Pro 6 – 6,000 sq. ft. Best Overall
- Google Nest WiFi AC2200 – 5,400 sq. ft. Best Budget & High Performance
- Netgear Orbi Tri-band– 5,000 sq. ft. Best for Extreme Traffic
- TP-Link Wi-Fi Extender – 2000 sq. Ft. PCMag Editor’s Choice
- Netgear Extender EX5000 – 1500 square feet, Best for Safety and Security
We hope this guide is useful to get the necessary information about the best outdoor WiFi extender. We have tried our best to provide you all details. Regardless, if you still find anything missing or have better suggestions to give, please comment below.